Table of Contents
- 1 How to Change DNS Server on Router?
- 2 How to Change DNS Server on Windows PC?
- 3 How to Change DNS Server on macOS?
- 4 How to Change DNS Server on an Android device?
- 5 How to Change DNS Server on an iOS Device?
- 6 How to Change DNS Server on Ubuntu?
- 7 How to Change DNS Server on Linux?
- 8 How to Change DNS Server on Chromebook?
- 9 Special Thanks
This is the Ultimate Guide to Change DNS Server or DNS Nameserver. The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical and decentralized naming system for computers, services, or other resources connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most prominently, it translates more readily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for locating and identifying computer services and devices with the underlying network protocols. By providing a worldwide, distributed directory service, the Domain Name System has been an essential component of the functionality of the Internet since 1985.
How to Change DNS Server on Router?
This is a tricky one. Because every router has its own IP Address, Login credential and Interface. For this, I really can not show you any steps because my steps might be different from yours. However, I can still show you what settings you should look for.
1. First of all, you have to Find the IP Address for your router interface. You can find it from the backside of the router or under the router. If not there, then you should look for an instruction book that comes with the router inside the box. If you have lost that one as well then you can search it online.
If you are still not able to find it then open up Command Prompt in Windows PC and type below command.
Your router’s IP address is listed next to Default Gateway in the bottom.
For macOS, launch System Preferences > Network > Advanced. Under TCP/IP, your router’s IP address is listed next to Router
|Apple router IPs||10.0.1.1|
|Asus router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1|
|Belkin router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.1.1.1|
|Dell router IPs||192.168.1.1|
|Cisco router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.30, 192.168.0.50, 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2|
|D-Link router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.10, 192.168.0.101, 192.168.0.30, 192.168.0.50, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.15.1, 192.168.254.254, 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.1.1.1, 10.90.90.90|
|Huawei router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.3.1, 192.168.8.1, 192.168.100.1, 10.0.0.138|
|Linksys router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.210, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.99, 192.168.15.1, 192.168.16.1, 192.168.2.1|
|Microsoft router IPs||192.168.2.1|
|Netcomm router IPs||192.168.20.1|
|Netgear router IPs||192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.227|
|TP-Link router IPs||192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254|
2. You have to Find your Login Creditials as well for your router. Similary to first step, you can find it from the backside of the router or under the router. If not there, then you should look for an instruction book that comes with the router inside the box. If you have lost that one as well then you can search it online.
Or, use below drop-down to find your router’s login credentials.
Below steps are for Netcomm Router. It may vary for you.
3. After Login, Go to Advanced Setup > DNS
4. Select the option for Static IP Adress.
5. Enter your Primary and secondary IP Address.
How to Change DNS Server on Windows PC?
1. Open Run by pressing
ncpa.cpl to open up Network Connections
The Alternative Method to open Network Connections:
Open up Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
First of all, You need to select your most used Network Connection. For me its WiFi . However, it may be different for you.
3. Right-click on that Network Connection  and click on Properties .
4. Now, select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCIP/IPv4)”  and click on its Properties .
5. Enter your DNS Servers .
6. Click OK  then again OK .
How to Change DNS Server on macOS?
1. Go to System Preferences then Network.
2. Select your Network connection from the left side, like WiFi
3. Click on Advanced from right-hand side bottom.
4. Click on DNS.
5. Enter your DNS Servers in the left side.
6. Once done, click on
How to Change DNS Server on an Android device?
You can not change DNS Server system-wide in an Android device. You have to change it for each and every network that you use.
1. Go to Settings in your Android device.
2. Go to WiFi.
3. Now, long press on the network that you are connected to.
4. It will give you three options. Click on Modify Network option.
5. Change IP Settings to Static.
6. Enter your preferred DNS Servers in DNS 1 & DNS 2.
How to Change DNS Server on an iOS Device?
Similar to Android, Apple also doesn’t allow to change the DNS Server system-wide. You have to change the DNS Server for every network that you use.
1. Go to Settings for iOS device.
2. Go to WiFi.
3. Click on for your connected network.
4. Tap on Configure DNS.
5. Change it to Manual from Automatic.
6. Add your preferred servers.
How to Change DNS Server on Ubuntu?
1. Open up Settings.
2. If you are connected to a WiFi network click on the “WiFi” tab. Otherwise, if you have a wired connection click on the “Network” tab.
3. Select the connection for which you want to set the DNS Servers and
4. Click on the Icon to Open the Network Manager.
5. Select the IPv4 Settings tab.
6. Select IPv4 Method Manual instead of Automatic.
7. Turn off the Automatic toggle for DNS.
8. Enter your preferred DNS Servers separated by commas.
9. Click Apply.
How to Change DNS Server on Linux?
1. Click on Network icon top-right of your screen
2. Click on Edit Connections.
3. Click in WiFi or Wired connection.
4. Then click on Edit from the right side.
5. Click on IPv4 Settings tab
6. Change the Method to Automatic (DHCP) addresses only from Automatic (DHCP).
7. Enter your preferred DN S Server in DNS area separated by commas.
8. Click Save.
How to Change DNS Server on Chromebook?
1. Go to Settings
2. Head towards Wi-Fi.
3. Select your connected Network
4. Click the “Network” header to expand it and find the “Name servers” section.
5. Click the “Automatic name servers” box and set it to “Custom name servers“.
6. Enter your DNS Server.
Please Like, Share and Comment your valuable thoughts 🙂
Thanks for patronizing Ultimate Tech. This post is about, "The Ultimate Guide to Change DNS Server" and last updated on March 11, 2020. I am sure your visit to us must be quite satisfying and in line with your expectations from us. Just in case, it’s not as you expected from us or if you are facing any problem, kindly forward your feedback’s directly to us by leaving a Comment below. And, get assured response from my side. Your feedback’s and suggestions are extremely valuable to us. This Post is written by Harman Singh Hira. There is not any source, if any, then already mentioned so Copying or using this post’s content for your own site is not allowed. If anyone do so, get ready for facing DMCA. Please, if you like this post then share on your social networking sites. Assuring you of our best service always.